Tuesday, April 24, 2007

bits & pieces

"I want to see mountains again, mountains, Gandalf..."
i really do.
may 18th can't come soon enough.

--------------------

i had a dream the other night that i was on some secret mission with mikl, catherine & kathleen. at one point we had to sneak through this grocery store. it was night & the store was closed. i discovered that they had sundrop and i ended up making a sundrop stash that i could come back & collect when we'd completed our mission. so basically, i had a dream about soda.

---------------------



hot fuzz is AWESOME. i loved grindhouse too, but it's kinda for a specific audience. i would recommend hot fuzz to just about anyone...or, at least, anyone with my sense of humor. great script, great cameos, great music and a bit with a hedgehog. i know i missed jokes because i was busy laughing at other jokes. and for the last half hour of the film i had this ridiculous grin on my face that didn't go away until the credits rolled. we went to see it friday night when it opened...then we went again on saturday. *sigh* edgar wright is brilliant.



i'm sad that my two most anticipated movies for 2007 came out this month, so now there's not some huge movie event to get all geeky about. oh well.

---------------------

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that picture an invitation to goose or be goosed?

Courgette Aubergine said...

it's an invitation to be "Ever So Goosey".

Anonymous said...

will goose for $$$

so let me get this straight... we were on a secret, special mission but the point was something *besides* hoarding Sun Drop? wtf kind of mission is that?

I am very excited for Hot Fuzz. I'm actually really looking forward to it. I love those guys, and I'm most excited about this because it's spoofing something that's a little closer to my sensibilities. My only problem with their last pic is that I just don't enjoy zombie movies so even a great spoof/homage leaves me sort of cold. They're awesome though. Spaced was great.

I'll try to assemble a list of geeky things for you to be excited about. They're out there...

Courgette Aubergine said...

i was going to write a treatise on the glory of zombie movies in general & romero movies in particular, but you don't really like gore...so nevermind.

the picture is actually a swan, btw.

Anonymous said...

Hehe yeah it's the great blind spot in my geek cred. I've tried and tried but I just don't get zombie movies at all. Oh well. Kind of the same reason I couldn't really get into "Planet Terror". You can appreciate an homage to something you yourself don't really enjoy, but even if it's brilliant (like "Shaun") there's still something missing. Lots of great bits in "Shaun" though and it's like a who's-who of people I love.

So that's why I'm super excited about this; I'm hoping to see it this weekend. Simon Pegg is awesome... he was great in an episode of Doctor Who the first season.

Courgette Aubergine said...

i want to see spaced. i wish it was on netflix. i've heard such great things.

Anonymous said...

Spaced is great... I'll try to tape it all the next time it comes on BBC America.

About Hot Fuzz... Kathleen points out that a much funnier title would be "Hot Bobbies". Although I know that wouldn't quite scan in America I think it's about teh funnay and now I really want that to be the title.

Anonymous said...

OMG so Kathleen and Roger and I went and saw it Sunday... priceless. Tears... tears of joy and laughter.

My only miniscule (and seriously, if this is the *only* thing to complain about...) gripe was too much CGI splatter, which has become pandemic in the last year or so. It always rips me out of the movie... the same thing happened in Pan's Labyrinth... go practical, young filmmakers!

But seriously... how insanely funny...

Courgette Aubergine said...

i prefer practical as well. one of my far-fetched career fantasies is to work for K.N.B. a girl can dream, can't she?

glad you saw it. SOOOO much brilliance. i've been playing the soundtrack in my car for a week now. i'll bring it with me in 18 DAYS.

unfortunately, it wasn't until after i saw it the 2nd time that i looked up all the uncredited cameos. WACKY CRAZY SHIT. i knew steve coogan but never would have guessed who played simon pegg's girlfriend. oh, those silly brits. now i want to watch it again just to see if they show the face of the guy in the santa suit who stabs him. look it up. insanity.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA I just looked at the cameos... amazing. Weird that Coogan wasn't credited since he was so prominent. The others though... I would never have guessed. Brilliant. I'm so glad you got the soundtrack! I knew it would be amazing. Lots of Ray Davies. Very exciting... I need to see it again.