Thursday, March 10, 2011

Home office

I'm making progress. I have gone from unemployed to underemployed. Thanks to my friend Andi, I'll be posting on Day Improver, as well as helping her with various AndiSites projects. I LOVELOVELOVE working from home. I can wear pajamas, eat constantly (as is my want) and listen to music. So far, the only downside is that whenever Ripley poops in the litterbox, I have to flee the office for a few minutes. Best of all, I can pause to think without looking over my shoulder, worried that my boss will see me pausing to think.

At my last job, I was so nervous about sharing an office with my boss that I quickly mastered the art of looking busy. The funny (or frustrating? I'm not sure anymore.) thing is that even when I was trying to work something out in my mind--something job-related--I was still compulsively clicking around on stuff in the database or "reading" email, just in case she happened to look over at me. I ended up putting tremendous effort into making my work look like work. Yet, 1 out of every 2 times I turned my head to look at her monitor, she was:

a) On Facebook
b) Playing Farmville
c) Picking out appliances/wall colors/fixtures for their new house
d) Shopping

Even if the screaming and nastiness hadn't been a factor, I think the uneven distribution of work ethic would've driven me round the bend sooner or later. Just more evidence that I made the right decision.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I just saw that you have a label for Ripley, so I clicked on it to see what percentage of the Ripley posts were about her bodily functions (hypothesis: 100%). I was amazed that not only were a very small percentage of the Ripley posts about poop/vomit (others were about hiding and cuteness), but also that you've had this blog for quite a while! it's cool to remember things like your green couch and Jazz.
And i agree working at home is awesome.

Courgette Aubergine said...

Technically, the post about her cuteness is also about vomit.

I miss Jazz, but I don't know how well he would've tolerated Abi. I'll bet she would've found him hilarious though.