Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Bibliography for the preschool set

You know how the Library of Congress catalog record for a book includes a summary? For some reason, it never occurred to me that children's books would have these too. We own a few first editions with the LoC blurb in the dust jacket and now I'm hooked on these summaries. I just love that someone had to write these carefully constructed, deadpan plot descriptions for incredibly silly books. Let's enjoy together, shall we? See if you can guess the book. Answers below.

We'll start with some obvious ones:

1. Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air.

2. A puppy who is always late coming home one night finds there is no dessert for him.

3. Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep. Die-cut pages illustrate what the caterpillar ate on successive days.


Got the idea? Ok, let's get slightly more obscure:

4. Hippopotamuses celebrate their belly buttons.

5. An alphabet rhyme/chant that relates what happens when the whole alphabet tries to climb a coconut tree.

6. A story-poem about the activities of such unusual animals as the Nook, Wump, Yink, Yop, Gack, and the Zeds.

7. On their way to the beach for a picnic the Pig family encounters almost every kind of transportation vehicle imaginable--and imaginary.

8. A lion, a dog, and a tiger balance apples on their heads.

9. Dinosaurs engage in such activities as sunbathing and creating art. 

10. Mr. Brown is an expert at imitating all sorts of noises.

These next four are so entertaining lumped together:

11. Relating the cycle of requests a mouse is likely to make after you give him a cookie takes the reader through a young boy's day.

12. Chaos can ensue if you give a moose a muffin and start him on a cycle of urgent requests.

13. A series of increasingly far-fetched events might occur if someone were to give a cupcake to a cat.

14. One thing leads to another when you give a pig a pancake.

This last one is my absolute favorite, due to its severe seriousness:

15. A pictorial vocabulary book with words grouped under common activities such as mealtime and basic concepts such as weather.

Ok everyone, how'd you do? Post your scores in the comments.





Answers:
  1. Goodnight Moon
  2. The Poky Little Puppy
  3. The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  4. Belly Button Book
  5. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  6. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  7. Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
  8. Ten Apples Up On Top
  9. Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs
  10. Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?
  11. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  12. If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  13. If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  14. If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  15. Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I got a 13 because I'm not familiar with Chicka Boom and the Best Word Book.
These are really hilarious. I like how the writers became less and less motivated as they progressed from "give a mouse a cookie" to "give a pig a pancake"--ending with just "one thing leads to another." My favorite is "Hippopotamuses celebrate their belly buttons."
I think that children's books should be another category in Beyond Balderdash.

Courgette Aubergine said...

Well done! You will probably have the high score, but Kate's pretty well-read so I won't count her out yet.

Anonymous said...

You win Catherine. I don't know any children's books published after 1985...also, I missed some of the classics. I think I got 8-9 of them.
K

Courgette Aubergine said...

I don't think I would've guessed Best Word Book Ever, even though we own it AND I had it as a kid.