A week from today, I will be unemployed. I haven't had much luck with this round of pavement-pounding. But after two godawful months at work, Steve and I took stock and decided it was time to go. I can't put energy into finding a new job when I spend so much time healing the wounds left by my current one.
On Monday I gave my two weeks notice. I was perfectly calm. All I said was that the environment wasn't healthy for me. My boss started out calm too, but then became overwhelmed and abruptly ended the conversation. She stormed out of the office in tears and didn't speak to me again until today.
Let me repeat that. I spent a week getting the silent treatment from a grown woman whose desk is two feet from mine. If her plan was to make me change my mind, that was the wrong strategy.
What's kind of sad is that I remember so clearly the feeling of triumph I had when I was offered this job. I knew it was our ticket back to North Carolina and I was so proud of myself. I have that same feeling now. Triumphant, proud, free. I am Teflon. They can't touch me anymore.
5 comments:
Way to go. I like all of the "take this job and shove it" action circulating in our tiny friend group -- my tiny friend group; your quite large friend group. ;p
Now you can think of this as "happy feat" and maybe it will come with a penguin.
-k
Thanks for the encouragement! I was thinking of this as simultaneously the most responsible and irresponsible thing I've ever done. So it helps that no one (except my bosses) has questioned my decision.
By the way, I just noticed that the last line makes it sound like my bosses were molesting me. For the record, not true.
I never realized your desks were 2 feet apart. That is pretty incredible of her to keep silent for a whole week. I am grateful to her, though, for bringing you back to NC. Otherwise, take this crazy and shove it!
And let's not discount the psychological molestation.
True.
They touched my brain, and it was a bad touch.
Post a Comment