From a recent Electric Booglaoo post about Facebook:
"What is this social space exactly? I’ve been at home with internet friendships ever since there was such a thing, but something about this kind of social networking internetty net web 2.0 friends just seems like a bad idea in a oh no worlds are colliding kind of way. Do you tell your boss and your aunt and your babysitter and your friends all the same jokes? How honest can you be about what you did this weekend? Do you decide to get over embarrassment and say oh well this is the real me and lower their inhibitions about what they share? Or do you end up posting only the safest common denominator?
Right now I have a small pile of friend requests in my inbox. It’s a mix of internet friends, close family, not close family, real life people, business acquaintances. So if I accept them all then I’ll be sharing space with people I know well who’ve never met or people who have met but don’t like each other or people who respect my professional opinion and people who used to change my diapers. It feels like I’d be putting them all in a room together."
this, in a nutshell, is the dilemma i now face when i post status updates. (at least i had the forethought not to "friend" anyone i work with.) my impulse is to be silly, quirky and sometimes a bit dirty. but now i'm hyper-aware that i'm "sharing space" with not just friends, but my daughter's nanny, my brother, casual acquaintances, much older relatives, much younger relatives, not to mention a few people who are, say, quite conservative and religious.
sadly, this has kept me from posting the status update that i've been dying to use ever since we watched Hamlet 2. instead, i'll post it here to get it out of my system:
Courgette Aubergine feels like she's been RAPED IN THE FACE!
2 comments:
me too, and frequently.
k
Maybe we were better off with MySpace after all.
And the clip made me laugh so loud I startled the plants.
Post a Comment