Monday, September 19, 2005

a farewell to furniture

Ode to the Green Monster
 
As your gray-green body sits crooked on the curb,
You appear to me now as a time capsule.
Each part of you, affected by our time together--
Your skirt, frayed by eager puppy teeth,
Your back, clothed in an inch-thick pad of orange tabby hair,
Your upholstery has lost its nap,
And is now a scrapbook of stains.
 
But I’m affected as well.
Five years ago,
While we sat on you,
The man who is now my husband
Kissed me for the first time.
Therefore, you are woven in my memories
Forever.
 
My love for you
Is matched only by
My father’s hate.
He helped move you
Eight times in seven years.
I still remember how hard it was
To fit you through doorways
And awkward stairwells.
You truly earned
The name he gave you.
 
Your role was multifaceted--
To me, a roommate,
(Quite superior to the real roommate,
Whose boyfriend would spill beer on you
While watching TV)
For one cat, you were a scratching post,
For the other, a hiding place,
Our dog preferred your worn curves
To her $150 bolster bed.
 
And now, it is with a heavy heart,
That I finally let you go.
Goodbye, dear friend!
Godspeed, my sweet sofa!
I leave you now in the capable hands
Of Bulky Item Pickup.

No comments: